BEDFORD, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIK), a leader in products for tissue protection, healing, and repair based on hyaluronic acid (HA) technology, today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2015, along with business progress in the period.
“The solid results we delivered in the second quarter demonstrate accelerating demand, which combined with our tangible pipeline progress, positions Anika to deliver robust growth for many years”
“The solid results we delivered in the second quarter demonstrate accelerating demand, which combined with our tangible pipeline progress, positions Anika to deliver robust growth for many years,” stated Charles H. Sherwood, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer. “As in recent quarters, physician and patient demand for our homegrown orthobiologics products continued to gain traction, and was the highlight of our commercial results. We expect that trend to continue with the launch of two important orthopedic products in the coming years, which will provide an important catalyst for additional value creation.”
Second Quarter Financial Results
- Product revenue was up 8 percent in 2015.
- At the end of the quarter, ORTHOVISC and MONOVISC achieved a combined 26 percent share of the U.S. viscosupplementation market. ORTHOVISC continues to grow and is maintaining its market-leading position in the multi-injection segment. MONOVISC experienced accelerated growth, and now holds the number two position in the single-injection segment.
- Total revenue for the second quarter of 2015 was $22.9 million. In last year’s second quarter, the Company reported $5 million in milestone revenue from the first commercial sale of MONOVISC in the U.S., resulting in total revenue of $26.3 million.
- Total operating expenses for the second quarter of 2015 were $10.5 million compared with $11.1 million in the second quarter of 2014. The decrease was primarily driven by lower SG&A expenses as a result of the full amortization of certain intangible assets at the end of 2014.
- Net income for the second quarter was $7.8 million, or $0.51 per diluted share, compared with $9.3 million, or $0.60 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2014. Last year’s results included $5 million in milestone revenue as a result of the first commercial sale of MONOVISC in the U.S. Excluding the impact of this milestone revenue, net income and diluted EPS increased $1.6 million, and $0.11, respectively.
Recent Business Highlights
The Company continues to make solid headway in expanding the commercial reach of existing products and advancing the progress of products in its development pipeline. Recent highlights of the business include:
- Agreements with new partners in India and Australia for the commercialization of MONOVISC.
- Submission and approval of an investigational device exemption (IDE) to evaluate the utility of MONOVISC, the Company’s single-injection product, in treating hip pain associated with osteoarthritis. The study is sponsored by Anika’s exclusive U.S. commercial partner for MONOVISC, and is expected to commence patient enrollment in the U.S. before the end of this year.
- Positive results from a 242-patient study evaluating the safety of a repeat injection of CINGAL, the first viscosupplement to combine the HA formulation found in MONOVISC with a steroid into a single injection to treat pain and reduce inflammation caused by osteoarthritis. The results of this follow-up study combined with the initial Phase 3 data suggest that CINGAL retains an excellent safety profile as an initial injection as well as a repeat injection. CINGAL is currently progressing through the regulatory process in the U.S., Europe, and Canada.
- Approval of a HYALOFAST IDE by the U.S. FDA. HYALOFAST, a biodegradable 3D scaffold that enables cartilage regeneration, has been used in more than 6,000 patients outside of the U.S. via a non-invasive, single-step arthroscopic procedure. HYALOFAST is commercially available in 18 countries. With approval of this IDE, the Company is on track to commence patient enrollment at sites in the United States and Europe beginning in the fourth quarter of 2015.
During the quarter, Anika further established its commitment to developing the next generation of orthopedic medicine, announcing a multiyear research collaboration with the University of Massachusetts (UMass) Amherst to develop a novel treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). This partnership combines Anika’s proprietary HA technology with UMass Amherst’s preclinical research and scientific expertise with the goal to develop the first localized therapy for RA that is cost-effective and can have a systemic impact on a large patient population with currently limited treatment options.
Conference Call Information
Anika management will hold a conference call and webcast to discuss its financial results, business highlights and financial outlook tomorrow, Thursday, July 30th at 9:00 am ET. The conference call can be accessed by dialing 1-855-468-0611 (toll-free domestic) or 1-484-756-4332 (international). A live audio webcast will be available in the “Investor Relations” section of Anika’s website, www.anikatherapeutics.com. An accompanying slide presentation may also be accessed via the Anika website. A replay of the webcast will be available on Anika’s website approximately two hours after the completion of the event.
About Anika Therapeutics, Inc.
Headquartered in Bedford, Mass., Anika Therapeutics, Inc. develops, manufactures, and commercializes therapeutic products for tissue protection, healing, and repair. These products are based on hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring, biocompatible polymer found throughout the body. Anika’s products range from orthopedic/joint health solutions led by ORTHOVISC and MONOVISC, treatments for osteoarthritis, to surgical aids in the anti-adhesion and ophthalmic fields. The Company also offers aesthetic dermal fillers for the correction of facial wrinkles. Anika’s Italian subsidiary, Anika Therapeutics S.r.l., provides complementary HA products in orthopedic/joint health and anti-adhesion, as well as therapeutics in areas such as advanced wound treatment and ear, nose and throat care. Its regenerative technology advances Anika’s vision to offer therapeutic products and medical solutions that go beyond pain relief to protect and restore damaged tissue.