BEDFORD, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIK), a global, integrated orthopedics medicines company specializing in therapeutics based on its proprietary hyaluronic acid (“HA”) technology, today reported financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2015, along with business progress in the period.
“Our third quarter sales and profits were driven by strength in end-user demand, which together with continuing pipeline progress, provides a robust foundation for future growth,” stated Charles H. Sherwood, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our viscosupplementation portfolio, anchored by ORTHOVISC® and MONOVISC®, continues to grow and is poised to take and hold greater leadership in the market. We believe this strong positioning, along with our steady pipeline progress during the quarter, sets our company up to deliver financial results and shareholder value for the long term.”
Third Quarter Financial Results
- Product revenue grew 8% in the third quarter of 2015.
- ORTHOVISC and MONOVISC continued to command a strong position in the market, with a combined share that grew modestly to 27% of the U.S. viscosupplementation market at the end of the third quarter. ORTHOVISC continues to maintain its market-leading position in the multi-injection segment. MONOVISC holds the number two position in the single-injection segment.
- Total revenue for the third quarter of 2015 was $23.7 million, compared with $22.1 million in the third quarter of 2014. The increase was primarily driven by the continued growth in MONOVISC adoption in the U.S.
- Total operating expenses for the third quarter of 2015 were $10.5 million, compared with $11.8 million in the third quarter of 2014. The decrease was primarily driven by lower cost of goods sold as a result of favorable revenue mix, the full amortization of certain intangible assets at the end of 2014, and certain employee termination-related expenses in the third quarter of 2014.
- Net income for the third quarter was $8.4 million, or $0.55 per diluted share, compared with $6.2 million, or $0.40 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2014.
Recent Business Highlights
During the quarter, the Company continued making pipeline and operational progress, including, as follows:
- A formal meeting with the FDA’s Office of Combination Products to discuss a planned application to request a device designation for CINGAL, followed by a formal written request for designation. A decision from the FDA is expected by the end of the year.
- The buildout of additional manufacturing space in, and the movement of the Company’s Italian manufacturing facilities to, Anika’s Bedford, Mass. global headquarters. This initiative is intended to consolidate production for all the Company’s products, and to accelerate product development.
- The signing of a lease agreement by Anika’s wholly-owned Italian subsidiary, Anika Therapeutics S.r.l., to build office space in Padova, Italy to serve as Anika’s European headquarters. This site will serve as Anika’s European hub for sales, marketing, and distribution and will also house administrative and product development operations, and is intended to provide the Company with infrastructure to support future growth.
Conference Call Information
Anika management will hold a conference call and webcast to discuss its financial results, business highlights and financial outlook tomorrow, Thursday, October 29th at 9:00 am ET. The conference call can be accessed by dialing 1-855-468-0611 (toll-free domestic) or 1-484-756-4332 (international). A live audio webcast will be available in the “Investor Relations” section of Anika’s website, www.anikatherapeutics.com. An accompanying slide presentation may also be accessed via the Anika website. A replay of the webcast will be available on Anika’s website approximately two hours after the completion of the event.
About Anika Therapeutics, Inc.
Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIK) is a global, integrated orthopedic medicines company based in Bedford, Mass. Anika is committed to improving the lives of patients with degenerative orthopedic diseases and traumatic conditions by providing clinically meaningful therapeutic pain management solutions along the continuum of care, from palliative care to regenerative medicine. The Company has over two decades of expertise developing, manufacturing and commercializing more than 20 products, in markets across the globe, based on its proprietary hyaluronic acid (HA) technology. Anika’s orthopedic medicine portfolio is comprised of marketed (ORTHOVISC® and MONOVISC®) and pipeline (CINGAL® and HYALOFAST® in the U.S.) products to alleviate pain and restore joint function by replenishing depleted HA and aiding cartilage repair and regeneration. For more information about Anika, please visit http://www.anikatherapeutics.com.