June 29, 2020
The worldwide toll is continuing to rise, with over 10 million confirmed cases. More than a quarter of deaths have been in the United States.
The city of Jacksonville, Fla., which is hosting the Republican National Convention in August, will require masks indoors in public places and where social distancing is not possible beginning at 5 p.m. on Monday.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Pence was more vocal about mask wearing over the weekend, despite Trump’s reticence.
- Gilead to charge up to $3,120 per treatment course of remdesivir, which has shown modest benefits in some patients.
- 43 percent of U.S. virus deaths are tied to nursing homes and long-term care facilities.
- China imposes a broad lockdown near Beijing to halt a second wave of infections.
- Half a million people are dead as confirmed virus cases top 10 million.
- At a Houston hospital bracing for a virus peak, new patients are often young.
- The virus is battering Africa’s growing middle class.