Broad strength across businesses and geographies results in mid-single digit revenue growth, driven by execution, innovation, and improved underlying fundamentals
DUBLIN, Aug. 22, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — Medtronic plc (NYSE:MDT) today announced financial results for its first quarter of fiscal year 2024 (FY24), which ended July 28, 2023.
- Revenue of $7.7 billion increased 4.5% as reported and 6.0% organic
- GAAP diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59 decreased 16%; non-GAAP diluted EPS of $1.20 increased 6%
- Company increases FY24 organic revenue growth and EPS guidance
- Commenced U.S. launches of the MiniMed™ 780G system with Guardian™ 4 sensor in Diabetes and the Micra™ AV2 and Micra™ VR2 leadless pacemakers in Cardiovascular
Medtronic reported Q1 worldwide revenue of $7.702 billion, an increase of 4.5% as reported and 6.0% on an organic basis. The company’s organic revenue results reflect broad strength across businesses and geographies, driven by execution, innovation, and improved underlying fundamentals. The organic revenue growth comparison excludes:
- Revenue and the associated impact from foreign currency translation reported as Other, stemming from business separations, including Renal Care Solutions and ongoing manufacturing agreements with Cardinal Health from the divestiture of Patient Care, Deep Vein Thrombosis, and Nutritional Insufficiency; and
- The unfavorable impact from foreign currency translation of $43 million on the remaining segments.
As reported, Q1 GAAP net income and diluted EPS were $791 million and $0.59, respectively, representing decreases of 15% and 16%, respectively. As detailed in the financial schedules included at the end of this release, Q1 non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP diluted EPS were $1.596 billion and $1.20, respectively, both representing increases of 6%. Included in non-GAAP diluted EPS was an 8 cent unfavorable impact from foreign currency translation, a 2 cent improvement from what was projected from May rates.
“We are pleased with the strong start to our fiscal year. We executed and delivered another quarter of mid-single digit revenue growth. Our solid results were broad-based, with each of our four segments delivering 6% organic revenue growth,” said Geoff Martha, Medtronic chairman and chief executive officer. “We also continue to make great strides on our comprehensive transformation designed to ensure durable growth and create value for shareholders.”
The Cardiovascular Portfolio includes the Cardiac Rhythm & Heart Failure (CRHF), Structural Heart & Aortic (SHA), and Coronary & Peripheral Vascular (CPV) divisions. Revenue of $2.850 billion increased 5.5% as reported and 6.2% organic, with a low-double digit increase in SHA, mid-single digit increase in CRHF, and low-single digit increase in CPV, all on an organic basis.
- CRHF results driven by mid-single digit growth in Defibrillation Solutions, Cardiovascular Diagnostics, Cardiac Ablation Solutions, and Cardiac Pacing Therapies, including mid-teens growth in Micra™ transcatheter pacing systems
- SHA drove low-double digit growth in Structural Heart (TAVR) on continued adoption of Evolut™ FX in the U.S. & Japan, low-double digit growth in Aortic on supply recovery, and high-single digit growth in Cardiac Surgery
- CPV results driven by mid-single digit growth in Peripheral Vascular Health, including low-double digit growth in drug-coated balloons (DCB) and ClosureFast™ and VenaSeal™ superficial vein therapy systems
- Commenced U.S. launches of Micra™ AV2 and Micra™ VR2 leadless pacemakers
The Neuroscience Portfolio includes the Cranial & Spinal Technologies (CST), Specialty Therapies, and Neuromodulation divisions. Revenue of $2.219 billion increased 4.9% as reported and 5.6% organic, with mid-single digit organic increases in CST, Specialty Therapies, and Neuromodulation.
- CST delivered high-single digit Spine & Biologics growth, including high-single digit growth in the U.S., on implant and biologic pull-through fueled by strength in the Aible™ ecosystem; double digit growth in Mazor™ robotics and high-single digit growth in StealthStation™ navigation
- Specialty Therapies results driven by high-teens growth in ENT aided by supply improvement, low-single digit growth in Neurovascular, and low-single digit declines in Pelvic Health
- Neuromodulation led by mid-single digit growth in Brain Modulation and Pain Stim, with strength in new implants of Percept™ PC neurostimulators with BrainSense™ technology and Intellis™ spinal cord stimulators with DTM™ SCS therapy
- Received CE Mark approval last week for the company’s next-generation Inceptiv™ spinal cord stimulator with closed-loop sensing
Medical Surgical Portfolio
The Medical Surgical Portfolio includes the Surgical & Endoscopy (SE) and the Patient Monitoring & Respiratory Interventions (PMRI) divisions. Endoscopy was formerly called the Gastrointestinal business. Revenue of $2.039 billion increased 5.5% as reported and 6.1% organic, with a high-single digit organic increase in SE and mid-single digit organic increase in PMRI.
- SE results driven by high-single digit growth in Advanced Surgical Technologies and mid-single digit growth in Endoscopy on continued supply improvement
- SE also drove installed base growth of the Hugo™ robotic-assisted surgery systems; activated new sites in Expand URO U.S. pivotal trial, which continues to progress to plan
- PMRI results driven by mid-single digit growth in Patient Monitoring, with double-digit growth in Nellcor™ pulse oximetry monitor sales and Perioperative Complications
- Company continues to target the intended separation of PMRI through a likely spinoff in the first half of fiscal year 2025
Diabetes revenue of $578 million increased 6.8% as reported and 6.3% organic.
- High-teens growth in Non-U.S. Developed Markets accelerated from recent quarters on increased MiniMed™ 780G system adoption, increased CGM attachment rates on the strength of the Guardian™ 4 sensor, and geographic expansion
- U.S. launch of MiniMed™ 780G system off to great start, resulting in low-30’s growth in U.S. durable pump sales
- High-single digit U.S. declines resulted from decreases in CGM and consumable sales given installed base attrition versus the prior year; expected to improve with growth in installed base
- Coverage secured for MiniMed 780G™ system with Guardian™ 4 sensor for over 95% of U.S. population, including expanded access for Medicare beneficiaries in July
- Several clinical and real-world datasets studying the MiniMed™ 780G system with proprietary Meal Detection™ technology presented at American Diabetes Association (ADA) Scientific Sessions in June; showed Time in Range outcomes exceed consensus guidelines and reduction of time spent in hyperglycemia in children and adults
The company today raised its FY24 revenue growth and EPS guidance.
The company increased its FY24 organic revenue growth guidance to 4.5% versus the prior range of 4.0% to 4.5%. The organic revenue growth guidance excludes the impact of foreign currency and revenue related to certain businesses reported as Other. If foreign currency exchange rates as of the beginning of August hold, FY24 revenue growth on a reported basis would be approximately 2.75%.
The company increased its FY24 diluted non-GAAP EPS guidance from the prior range of $5.00 to $5.10 to the new range of $5.08 to $5.16, a 7 cent increase at the midpoint, inline with the company’s operational EPS outperformance in the first quarter.
“Our revenue outperformance and focus on expense management drove operating margin expansion and mid-single digit adjusted earnings growth this quarter,” said Karen Parkhill, Medtronic EVP & chief financial officer. “Given our first quarter performance, including a 7 cent operational beat on the bottom line, and improved fundamentals, we’re raising our full year organic revenue growth and EPS guidance.”
Video Webcast Information
Medtronic will host a video webcast today, August 22, at 8:00 a.m. EDT (7:00 a.m. CDT) to provide information about its businesses for the public, investors, analysts, and news media. This webcast can be accessed by clicking on the Events icon at investorrelations.medtronic.com, and this earnings release will be archived at news.medtronic.com. Within 24 hours of the webcast, a replay of the webcast and transcript of the company’s prepared remarks will be available by clicking on the Events icon at investorrelations.medtronic.com.
Medtronic plans to report its FY24 second, third, and fourth quarter results on Tuesday, November 21, 2023; February 20, 2024; and Thursday, May 23, 2024, respectively. Confirmation and additional details will be provided closer to the specific event.
The first quarter financial schedules and non-GAAP reconciliations can be viewed by clicking on the Investor Events link at investorrelations.medtronic.com. To view a printable PDF of the financial schedules and non-GAAP reconciliations, click here. To view the first quarter earnings presentation, click here.