SAN DIEGO – June 30, 2019 – NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUVA), the leader in spine technology innovation, focused on transforming spine surgery with minimally disruptive, procedurally integrated solutions, today announced financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2019.
Second Quarter 2019 Highlights
- Revenue increased 3.7% to $292.1 million, or 4.7% on a constant currency basis;
- GAAP operating profit margin of 10.3%; Non-GAAP operating profit margin of 16.3%; and
- GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.29; Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.63.
“NuVasive continued to deliver consistent revenue growth in the second quarter 2019, with a notably solid performance from the U.S. Hardware business,” said J. Christopher Barry, chief executive officer of NuVasive. “We saw meaningful case volume growth driven by increased surgeon adoption of lateral single-position surgery and NuVasive’s innovative X360 system. Our strong profitability results over the first half of the year demonstrate the clear initiatives and focused execution throughout the business and are reflected in our raised full-year 2019 non-GAAP guidance for operating margin and earnings per share.”
A full reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures can be found in the tables of this news release.
Second Quarter 2019 Results
NuVasive reported second quarter 2019 total revenue of $292.1 million, a 3.7% increase compared to $281.6 million for the second quarter 2018. On a constant currency basis, second quarter 2019 total revenue increased 4.7% compared to the same period last year.
For the second quarter 2019, both GAAP and non-GAAP gross profit was $214.5 million and GAAP and non-GAAP gross margin was 73.4%. These results compared to the second quarter 2018 GAAP and non-GAAP gross profit of $204.5 million and $204.9 million, respectively, and GAAP and non-GAAP gross margin of 72.6% and 72.8%, respectively.
On a GAAP basis, the Company reported net income of $15.0 million, or diluted earnings per share of $0.29, for the second quarter 2019 compared to a net income of $11.5 million, or diluted earnings per share of $0.22, for the second quarter 2018. On a non-GAAP basis, the Company reported net income of $32.8 million, or diluted earnings per share of $0.63 per share, for the second quarter 2019 compared to net income of $30.3 million, or diluted earnings per share of $0.58 per share, for the second quarter 2018.
Annual Financial Guidance for 2019
The Company updated its full-year 2019 financial guidance to reflect first-half 2019 results.
- The Company maintains full-year 2019 revenue guidance to be in the range of $1.14 billion to $1.16 billion, which now includes approximately $5 million in year-over-year currency headwinds compared to prior guidance of $4 million. This reflects reported growth in the range of 3.4% to 5.4%, compared with prior guidance of 3.5% to 5.5%. Revenue growth on a constant currency basis remains unchanged at 3.8% to 5.8%;
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share in a range of $2.25 to $2.35, compared with prior guidance of $2.20 to $2.30;
- Non-GAAP operating profit margin of 15.3% to 15.7%, compared with prior guidance of 15.0% to 15.5%;
- EBITDA margin of 25.5% to 25.9%, compared with prior guidance of 25.2% to 25.7%; and
- Non-GAAP effective tax expense rate of approximately 23%.